Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Joshua 4 "Stones"

Pin It
Are you ready with an answer?

     As A Christian mom I desire my children to see me daily living out my faith.
I feel that I often fall short though.

Today as I was reading Joshua 4, I stumbled upon the words in verse 6 that read "that this may be a sign among you, when your children ask in times to come "what do these stones mean to you?". This question of the children, "what do these stones mean to you?", made me think of a question children today may ask all of us...my children may ask me. "What does this Bible, this GOD, mean to you?".

Am I prepared to answer that question for my children and the children of this generation? Would I answer it with head knowledge or with heart revelation? Would I truly hear my child's question or just flippantly say "you'll understand when you are older"?

Then another though provoking question raised out of me. Should my children have to ask that question? Or should they see the answer lived out in such a way that the question never crosses their mind, because they KNOW the answer?

I would definitely answer the question were it asked but firstly I want to make sure I'm showing them a good picture of God and making the Bible alive and true to them.

Some ways I am or plan to do this are...

1. Reading Psalms to them daily...they may not understand every word yet but we can talk about it and understanding will come. Psalms gives a wonderful picture of God and His relationship with us.

2. Memorize scripture together that pertains to their lives.

3. Read child appropriate devotionals that teach us to live out our faith in and relationship with God daily.

4. Listen to and sing scripture songs.

5. Read Bible stories, missionary stories and stories of Christians around the world today.

6. Teach them how to talk to God (pray) on their own.


~ Rachel ~

No comments: